Ha Giang tourism bring for me many interesting experiences. Ha Giang is beautiful not only by majestic nature, endless winding roads, immense flower fields, but also by warm hearted people.
Folowers in Ha Giang bloom all year round with magic colors: yellow of kale flowers, purple of Tam Giac Mach (Tam Giác Mạch, i don’t know what does it mean in English), pure white of damson, and grey-green of a flower that i called stone flowers when saw them on Dong Van stone plateau.
If once visit Dong Van market, you will feel the precious-heartd locals. Guys sit together and drink bowls of corn-wine and be drunk even can’t remember way home…Their faces are bewildered but honest and emotional.
There are too many emotions to share after Ha Giang travel trips, but i would temporarily stop at here to share my Ha Giang travel experiences.
** If you’re wanting to book a hotel, you can help me to maintain this blog and keep sharing more by booking the hotel at here, on Agoda. (Why’s that? I will be shared a commission of few dollars for each booking and I can use this commission to maintain the blog). I’m very grateful for that!
Parts of the article:
Best time | How to get Ha Giang | Itinerary for 3 days | Hotels and motels
Best time to visit Ha Giang
Some best times in the year:
– Oct and Nov are time of Tam Giac Mach flowers, very beautiful.
– Nov and Dec are time of endless Kale flower fields.
– On spring is pure white flowers of damson and cherry.
However, Ha Giang is beautifull in all year round, because only endless winding roads and majestic terraces on stone mountains are also enough to glamor you.
How to get to Ha Giang
Ha Giang is over 300km (187miles) from Hanoi capital, you should move by bus in night and will be in Ha Giang city in next morning, fair is about $10. Some reputed bus firm from Hanoi to Ha Giang city:
– Khai Huyen bus. Start at 9pm from My Dinh bus station (Bến xe Mỹ Đình). Tel: +84913.271.384 or +84978.384.384
– Bang Phan. Start at 9pm from Giap Bat bus station (Bến xe Giáp Bát). Tel: +84219.388.7867 – +84915.223.171
– Thinh My, start at 5am from My Dinh bus station. Tel: +84913.516.135 / +84914.868.737
– Ngoc Son, start at 12h30 pm from My Dinh station. +84913.036.456
Things to do in Ha Giang for 3 days?
1. The first day, after arriving Ha Giang city, you get to Dong Van plateau (over 130km (81 miles) from Ha Giang city). You may move by bus or rent a car or motobike, you may rent in your hotel or contact: Mr. Nam +84917.797.269 to rent motorbike or Mr. Sơn +84912.606.500 to rent a car, price $175 / 2 days.
On the way to Dong Van, you stop at Quan Ba sky gate (Cổng trời Quản Bạ), from here, you can watch overview of the town.
Noon, early lunch in Yen Minh town.
Afternoon, continue going to Pho Cao (Phố Cáo) and Sung La town (Sủng Là). These are 2 places famous for beauty of damson and kale flower.
In Sung La, you may visit Pao house, i was impressed by achitecture of this house.
Late affternoon, after visiting these places, you stop at Vuong palace (Phủ Vương), where was home of Hmong’s king, Vuong Chi Sinh, who was the most powerful in Ha Giang.
Evening, you should stroll around Dong Van old quater (Phố cổ Đồng Văn), drink coffee and overnight at certain hotel in Dong Van. (You may consult some hotels in Dong Van below)
2. If you have 2 days – 2 nights then the sencond day, you visit Ma Pi Leng pass (Đèo Mã Pí Lèng) then back to Ha Giang city. On the way, there are many beautiful view, you should stop at somewhere to watch and take some photos. Remember calculating the time to back Ha Giang city before the starting time of bus.
3. If you have 3 days – 3 nights then early morning of the second day, you go to Lung Cu (Lũng Cú), where is northernmost point and very sacred place of our country, visit Lung Cu flagpole and some villages of Lo Lo ethnic.
Early afternoon, going to Meo Vac (Mèo Vạc), a district of Ha Giang province, on the way, stop at the summit of Ma Pi Leng pass to watch and take photos. Evening, overnight in Meo Vac (you may consult some hotels in Meo Vac below). The third day, back to Ha Giang city to return Hanoi in evening.
Important note: Ha Giang is close to China and has very long border, so this is quite complex place. If you only visit above places, it’s ok, but if you want to visit deeper places, you should have permission from Ha Giang military commander. And even when having the permission, you should also know where are you going if don’t want to be lost to China, that will be very big trouble.
Hotels and motels in Ha Giang
In holidays and weekends in summer, hotels in Ha Giang are usually fully booked so if travel with big group, you have to book early. One more thing, hotels in Ha Giang have no explicit address, so quite difficult to find. Following is some hotels in Ha Giang:
In Quan Ba district
Tourists are rarely overnight in Quan Ba so there are quite little hotels at here.
– 567 motel, tel: +84219.3.846.129
– Tam Son motel, tel: +84219.3.846.543
– Ha Son Quan Ba, tel: +84219.3.846.371
In Dong Van
– Cao nguyen Da hotel, tel: +84219.385.6868
– Hoang Ngoc motel, tel: +84219.385.6020
– Khai Hoan motel, tel: +84219.856.147
– Mr. Chi motel, tel: +84977.993.071, behind the Dong Van market.
– Mr. Duc motel, tel: +84982.791.830. This motel is close to a Karaoke and also near the Dong Van market.
– Hien Hoa motel, tel: +84219.3856.216
– Lung Cu motel, tel: +84219.3510.000
– Addition, you may book room at Pho co Dong Van coffee, $3 / person, you will stay in a house which is like ethnic house. Contact Mr. Khuong +84945.378.318
In Meo Vac
– Nho Que motel: +84219.3.871.322
– Cao Nguyen: +84219.3.871.440
– Khau Vai: +84917.706.503
– Hai Thuy: +84219.3.871.355
– Mai Dao hotel: +84219.3871.294
– Hoa Cuong hotel: +84219.3871.888